In Albuquerque you can find two different names for Route 66. Oddly enough, one of those paths runs directly north-south while the other runs east to west. Both Fourth Street and Central Avenue are named for Route 66. The road hooked south to New Mexico’s largest community, Albuquerque, entering the city along Fourth Street, a north-south road. Only when it got downtown did Highway 66 head west again, crossing the Rio Grande on the Barelas Bridge. The road then went on to Gallup before entering Arizona.
The Mapping of an Historic Route
In 1926 the legendary road became a reality as a major artery of the fledgling national highway system. The U.S. Department of Agriculture created the system linking existing roads, trails, paths and ruts. It came together to become a long highway. All across the nation, states and towns were clamoring to get the highway system to pass through their areas, for the commerce the roads would bring. Highway 66 was to go across Kansas along the route of the old Santa Fe Trail but that route never made it in the final map.
Cruising the Santa Fe Plaza
As the state capitol Santa Fe insisted on having the road come right through its plaza. When the road warriors go to Santa Rosa, Highway 66 made an abrupt turn north. The route then snaked its way going through Dilia, Romeroville, the outskirts of Las Vegas, and then Pecos. When it arrived in Santa Fe Route 66 passed alongside the downtown Plaza in the heart of the city. Route 66 became the only paved highway going all the way across New Mexico