Wind and rain through the centuries have created the sandstone rock formation that looks like a camel, as seen in this 1925 photo. Camel Rock is part of Tesuque Pueblo, the smallest of the eight pueblos in Northern New Mexico. The word Tesuque, Te Tesugeh Oweengeh, means the village of the narrow place of the cottonwood trees. Camel Rock is located ten miles north of Santa Fe on highway U.S. 84-285. Through the 1970s people used to climb on the rock to have picnics.
Tesuque Pueblo is Santa Fe’s Closet Neighbor
Despite being surrounded by Spanish and Anglo influences, the Tesuque Pueblo remains one of the most conservative and traditional Pueblos. During the early part of the 20th century the Pueblo children were discouraged from speaking their native language. This mandate resulted in the decline of the Tewa language.
Participation during the Pueblo Revolt
Tesuque Pueblo made distinguished contributions during the Pueblo Revolt. Two of its men, Nicolas Catua and Pedro Omtua, became Revolt runners. The two men let the other Pueblos know about the plans for the uprising. It was at Tesuque Pueblo that the first blood of the revolt was shed on August 9, 1680, with the killing of a Spaniard, Cristobal de Herrera. The Mission Church of San Diego at Tesuque Pueblo destroyed during the Pueblo Revolt. In 1695 the church was rebuilt under the supervision of Fray Jose Diaz. By 1745 another church became a part of the Pueblo under the supervision of Fray Francisco Gonzalez. By the 1870s, that church fell into ruin and shuttered its doors.