The artist Andrea “Drew” Bacigalupa and his wife Ellen moved to Santa Fe in 1954 because of its European ambiance. They remodeled an old adobe house where the couple opened the Bacigalupa Studio of Gian Andrea in 1956. That was the very first gallery on Canyon Road. From that location the artist painted and created sculptures and ceramics. People from all over the world have Bacigalupa’s work in their private collections.
An Artist’s Presence
In Santa Fe Bacigalupa’s better known work includes: a bronze statue of St. Francis in front of City Hall. A ceramic tile mural of the prophet Elijah at Mt. Carmel and multi-faceted stained glass windows can be found at the Carmelite Chapel. A tile mural of San Francisco at the Episcopal Church of the Holy Faith and etched glass panels at the Chapel of Reservation at the Cathedral Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi. In Pojoaque the artist’s work can be found at Our Lady of Guadalupe and in Albuquerque at the church of the Most Holy Rosary.